[G4] Dual Layer DVD Unit

Anthony Kluck weho90069 at earthlink.net
Sun May 29 20:51:17 PDT 2005

This brings up a good point, for me especially; if I wanted to directly
copy a DVD I already made, I would need the original DVD-ROM drive to
play the disc, and the  burner to burn *to*... However, just looking at
the front of *my* G4 I don't see another slot available (I have an
IOMEGA zip drive, which I do use from time to time and would prefer not
to remove if it is taking up the second slot). If I am on the right
track and my G4 doesn't have another slot for an additional optical
drive, could one easily do what STeve is saying and convert the drive
to Firewire? OR, would it be smarter to change out the two optical
drives, putting the burner in the tower, and use a Firewire DVD-ROM as
the other "source" for copying (or, possibly, convert the existing
DVD-ROM into a Firewire drive)?

OH, here's another possibility...take the IOMEGA ZIP 100 out and
install the second optical drive below the original one. Then would it
be possible to convert the ZIP drive to a USB or Firewire unit?

Again, folks, thanks for your scholarship on the matter...!
Anthony
Power Mac G4 (AGP)
CPU Type: PowerPC G4  (2.9)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 450 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 640 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.2.8f1
HD Capacity: 38.34 GB
Hitachi DVD-ROM GD-7000
Iomega ZIP 100 internal
Fantom 80 GB Firewire HD
EPSON 1200U Scanner
EPSON 1270 Inkjet Printer
OS X 10.3.9

On May 29, 2005, at 2:59 PM, SLarsonIH at aol.com wrote:

> Am I missing something here? Why not just put the new drive in the
> second
> optical drive slot, (don't all G4 Macs have 2 optical drive slots) or
> get a
> FireWire/USB case and install it in there?
>
> STeve
> <<K,
>   Thanks for all the great info.
> Replacing your optical drive is not very hard.
> You can cut a finger on the sheet metal though .
> I think the only tool required is a philips head svrewdriver.
>   But I'm pretty sure that you should take off the faceplate earlier.
>    when the drive is still in your hands.
> Do the paperclip trick to open the drawer and then turn it upside down
> On the bottom of the faceplate should be some kind of tabs.
>   Loosen those and it will just pop off.
> Save the faceplate in case you upgrade again later.
> I sold my 103 on ebay.
> Jim >>

> stuff:

Anthony