[G4] G4 will not accept OSX

J.M.P.Hissel jomph at xs4all.nl
Wed Nov 9 15:10:40 PST 2005

On 09-11-2005 19:19, Ronald Steinke, ronsteinke at mac.com, wrote:

> I suggest doing the OS-X installation on a freshly erased and formatted
> drive. Always chose the "Extended with Journaling" or the "Extended"
> format when available. If you have any necessary files on the drive,
> back them up to another drive, or a CD, or even a Zip cartridge, so you
> won't lose them.

You are 100% right! But I have some remarks:
1) In case of erasing and reformatting a used IDE/ATA HD: NEVER use
"low-formatting" or "formatting to zero"!!! Only possible (in our case) with
SCSI-HD's!!
2) In case of using any OS X-istall-CD/DVD: Don't forget enabling loading
drivers for OS 9!!

I'll even advise to copy your total today's 9.x.x stuff to a back-up medium!
You'll always oversee a file/item/note/etc. And later you'll use bad
language if you miss something = omit to back-up that something!! Seen the
today's prices per GB, any backup-amount will be  justified. And with 9.2.2
and below very easy: Just drag and drop. Then safe or burn. *)

> If you are successful with the OS-X installation, be sure to do a
> "Clean Install" of OS-9.

Don't agree with your terminology.
A "Clean Install" means: Installing a new system on a HD/partition, leaving
the old as "(~)Old System Folder". Not possible in this case! For installing
any OS X first, you simply don't have any system to make a "Clean Install"
of.
You ONLY can use "Easy Install" or "Pers./user Install"!!

> If you try to do an "Easy Install", it may try to erase the drive again before
> it installs OS-9.>

Never found anything according this in any documentation.

> Before doing anything like this, make sure that you have a list of your
> installed programs and the necessary password/registration data on hand
> for any needed software re-installations.

Yep, see *).

Jo Hissel