[G4] Memory

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Sat Nov 12 13:37:32 PST 2005

On Nov 12, 2005, at 1:18 PM, kriss wrote:

> I understand from conversations with another Mac owner
> that your memory needs to be DIMM's as low density memory works
> best in
> Mac's.

DIMMs come in both low and high density. Depending on the Mac in
question you might see only half of the DIMM's memory or it might not
work at all if the DIMM is high density.

> PC100's are used in Macs and PCs as well. For that matter, if a Mac
> follows PC's architecture you could even run PC133 memory instead
> of PC100.
> Just nothing designed for slower busses like the PC66 memory as an
> example.

Mac's do, and yes PC133 is generally backwards compatible.

> PS. I do rememeber reading somewhere that the Mac is unique in that
> it will
> also utilize the memory found on your Video card for processing. I
> wish I
> could remember where that was now.

Not that I've ever heard. The reverse however, is true for many
computers who have graphics built-in to the motherboard. What you may
be thinking of is that some programmers have figured out how to off
load some types of calculations that would normally be done by the
CPU to high end graphics cards.

Phil
--
We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home. -- Edward R.
Murrow