[G4] File "Unerasing"

Dale Hoffman dhoff at margnat.com
Wed Oct 5 04:37:10 PDT 2005

A friend brought in his G5 (OS 10.3.9) hoping to use Norton's
"Unerase" utility to recover some mistakenly deleted files. I used to
use NUM with File Saver installed and had successfully recovered
deleted files so I had some hope for helping him get at least some of
his data back.  After booting from the Norton Utilities 8.0 CD, we
ran Unerase which only returned a dozen or so very old and useless
files. He had not been using Filesaver as recommended, but I expected
better results than that.

We then did an experiment where we trashed a small file and
immediately tried to recover it using Unerase. No intervening disk
activity to mung the directory. The utility did not find it, showing
only the handful of files it had located earlier. A second attempt at
file retrieval using Techtools proved ineffective also.

Are file retrieval utilities that dependent on assisting components
like File Saver, or is there something else going on with my friend's
system?

DaleH