[G4] No power with door closed - Was: Power supply woes

S. Kennedy skenn at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 13 08:51:48 PDT 2005

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:01:47 -0400, jim carbone wrote:

> Does this sound like anything common to anyone?

Not quite the same but close.  I have a 1.25 dp mdd with 10.3.8  four
HDs and 2 Optical drives and some time ago it shut down due to a
momentary power failure.

When I tried to start back up I had the same symptoms of the light
coming on as long as the button was pressed but nothing happening.

I thought the ps was shot but I knew power was getting to the light.  I
opened up and removed all the drives and then removed the battery to
check the voltage.  I couldn't see anything wrong so I put the battery
back in and pressed the startup button and it tried to start up with no
hd installed.  I quickly installed my boot drive and everything
returned to normal.  I then installed my back up drive and left the two
smaller drives out as I really didn't use them.  Everything has been
fine now for a couple of months.  I haven't tried installing the extra
2 hard drives so I can't be sure they were not pushing things toward
overload.

In my case, I am thinking that somehow the pram got scrambled and
removing the battery was the solution.  You apparently have more of a
problem since a fuse was blown but maybe this will provide some clues.
When closing the door you may be causing some problem with the start up
circuitry so I would search in that area.

Hope this helps,

S. Kennedy