[G4] Samsung drives?

Aaron macuser at aarons.fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 17 17:26:14 PDT 2006

I need more hard disk space to store my large collection of video and audio, including intermediate versions of videos I'm processing in various ways. I presently have four HD's in my G4 Dual 867, all 7200RPM and ranging from 60 GB to 250 GB (decimal).

I picked up a 300 GB Samsung 7200 RPM/8MEG drive at CompUSA a few days ago for $108 (including tax), but haven't opened it yet. I know I can return it even if I open it, but I'd rather not even open it if it's not a good drive. There is, BTW, no model number on the box, but the UPC is 892489000677, for what it's worth.

Anybody have any familiarity with this drive or with Samsung drives in general? Are they reliable? Resonably fast? Reasonably quiet?

BTW, I just ordered a USB 2.0 card and am planning on getting an external case for one of my drives. How does USB 2.0 compare with the built-in FireWire for the external drive?

 - Aaron