[G4] Adding memory to a G4 PCI.

Stefan Daehler gesar at tiscali.ch
Sun Apr 30 03:53:31 PDT 2006

Original message:

> Hi All,
>
> I've just added new memory to my G4 (PCI graphics) machine, two sticks
> of 256mb pc133.
> The profiler shows it incorrectly as two sticks of 128mb.
>
> I remember reading somewhere about a firmware upgrade that may fix
> this, but can't seem to find this info??
>
> Can someone 1) tell me if this is true?   2) point me in the direction
> of the firmware suitable for a G4 PCI graphics??
>
> All the links I've managed to google so far, this  and  this
> Seem to suggest I don't need an update...  it's very confusing...
>
> The reported boot rom version in the profiler is 1.1.2f2
>
> In openfirmware it is;
> Apple PowerMac 1,2 1.2f2 built on 08/19/99 at 21:36:38
>
> Any help would be most appreciated.
>
> Jono

There is definately no firmware-upgrade for Yikes!. A far as I recall,
using PC133-memory in this G4 is problematic. Furthermore, I think the
memory-chips should be placed on both sides of the module. If they are
all on the same side, your Mac may recognize a maximum of 128 MB only.

Good luck!     Steff