[G4] G4 upgrade questions

SLarsonIH at aol.com SLarsonIH at aol.com
Thu Feb 2 00:16:53 PST 2006

Hi Listers,

I have a MDD dual 867 Mac, and find myself trying to make the next best step.
I bought the dual 867 because I like the looks of the case and GigaDesigns
had a dual 1.4Ghz upgrade card at the time. They quit selling them not long
after I got the MDD. I'm considering trading up my mom's 7600/200 (that I gave
her) to my MDD and getting an older G4 and getting a dual 1.8Ghz from
Sonnet/PowerLogix/GigaDesign. I want the fastest machine that will boot into OS 9. So, I
have a few questions for you G4 wizards.
1-Has anyone run an early model MDD with a GigsDesigns dual opgrade card?
Runs ok or problems?
2-Outside of the looks of the case, are there any advantages/disadvantages
between the AGP/Gigabit Ethernet/Digital Audio/Quicksilver models? Any reason
not to get the last Quicksilver? To those of you who have done the dual 1.8 Ghz
upgrade on any of the G4's, have you had problems or not?
3-Has anyone tried to put a MDD front face on a Quicksilver?
4-Has anyone tried putting a faster MDD card (like the factory 1.25Ghz or
1.42 Ghz from a faster MDD) into the dual 867 with good results? Can it even be
done?
5- Does anyone know the last model that will run OS 8.6? I had to boot up my
6100 just so I could use ClarisCAD. My MDD won't boot into 8.6 and ClarisCAD
won't run in 9.2.2.

STeve