[G4] G5 & Tiger Installation

jgk janetgk at ptd.net
Tue Feb 7 18:51:01 PST 2006

This G4 list has been just great and helpful big time.

Because MY G4 Display died, and the G4 is 6 years old, I am
transitioning from G4 Panther to G5 Tiger.

Lots of little difficulties and hard to tell if it's the G5
architecture or TIGER.

Maybe I made a mistake not getting the iMac G5, but I was unsure of
the ability to add and get inside.

Is there a G5 List similar to this G4 list?

Lastly, and hopefully not off topic, I took my secondary 120 gig IBM
drive out of the G4 and put it in an 800 mb enclosure and
successfully connected it to the G5 by firewire.

I want to have a secondary OS X system on this secondary disk, but
cannot do it.   I erased, low-level formatted, otherwise stripped the
firewire secondary drive.  I try my Panther (purchased disk) and the
screen reveals that rejection zero with the line through it.    I
start with the G5 disk and after the mandatory restart, the disk sees
the secondary volume, and begins to install.  It works for a while,
but then rejects, system error, unable to finish installation.

I know there has to be a way to get as OS X system on the secondary
drive.   It did accept the classic 9 system, but as you know, those
systems will not show up to start on the G5.

My purpose is to use the secondary system to run diskwarrior,
techtool, etc. AND also have a back up OS X system.

I do know I can gut the G5 volume, reformat, partition, and have both
volumes with the system, but I really don't want to do that.

Anyone, able to assist me with this installation problem, Please and Thank You.

Janet Kreller