[G4] hard drive shuffling Qs

vwmai vwmail at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 12 05:46:35 PST 2006

Hello,

I need some advice on how to implement the "swapping " of info from
drives.  Here's the current setup

Power Mac G4/466 Digital Audio

Drive 1
-boot drive - 30 gig internal boot drive
-5 gig partition that contains OS 9.2 and some 9.2 apps that I still use
-25 gig partition that contains OS 10.3.9 along with all user folders,
applications and several thousand photos.
-this drive is almost full

Drive 2 - 40 gig internal drive
-unpartitioned
-contains iTunes music folder currently at about 20 gigs.

Drive 3
-250 gig external drive connected via USB 2.0
Contains mostly video files

The short version is I want the 40 gig drive to contain the operating
systems, user folders and apps and the 30 gig drive to contain the
iTunes music folders. The easy part is temporarily  moving the iTunes
music folder to the external drive. I need to back that up anyway so a
copy will stay there. Now the 40 gig drive will be empty and the
questions begin.

Should I reformat the 40 gig before I procede? Do I need to have OS9 in
a separate partition for OS X? I don't really boot up in 9. I just run
classic for the few apps that I still use. If I do go with a partition
does it matter which is first on the drive?

Can I simply copy disk 1 to disk 2? If disk 2 is partitioned do I copy
partition A to A and B to B or will it just figure that out itself? Can
I just copy each partition to disk two and expect everything to work
out OK. Once everything is on disk 2  do I need to physically swap the
hard drives inside the G4 or can I just reset the jumpers for master
and slave or do I need to swap drive locations and switch the jumpers?

Backing up. Does OS 10.3 have a built in back up feature? I think it
would be a good idea to back up disk 1 before I do anything just incase
there is a failure in the process. In fact since disk real estate is
cheap and available I should keep it backed up anyway. This begs
another questions. Should I partition the external drive to have a
partition for iTunes music, video and a back up of the boot drive? The
only advantage I see is that video editing might run faster. I could
also setup a scratch disk for photoshop but I am not really a power
user so that might be overkill.

Any advice on a better way or faster way of doing this would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks
Chris