[G4] Re: G4 Digest, Vol 18, Issue 13

Robert MacLeay robertmacleay at mac.com
Sun Feb 12 17:42:52 PST 2006

On 2/12/06 4:46 PM, Richard <cms01 at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> notice a major speed boost compare to running a single
> 15 RPM Ultra 160 Seagate
> with Adaptec 29160.

Oh, well... 15 RPM explains a lot of it.

Seriously, though, Tiger is written for Macs with very fast HDs, and I get
the impression they really don't care any more about optimizing code WRT
disk access.

I used to say the single best improvement you could make after maxing out
your RAM was to upgrade your video card.  Now, I think I'd opt for faster
disk access.  You did good.  Go for the round cables, and don't buy cheap
(sorry!)

Robert MacLeay