[G4] Re: Bandwith dropped

Michael G-2 at att.net
Mon Feb 27 09:00:29 PST 2006

Below is a response to one of the 'off group' notes I've gotten.  I'm
posting my reply because the shoe may fit others.

=========

My problem is not ordinary...I've spent days with some very bright folks
and applied countless measures (only to confirm that the Mac is only
able to get 1/2 the bandwidth of the Winboxes under a controlled
environment).

Pick a standard for 'research' - - - The Winboxes pass...the G4 fails.

So, yes...'Disk Utiliy' is a daily routine.  A MacDude had me doing it
from day one...like flossing!

With all due respect?  Your "story" is typical...Most Mac users don't
have problems and it tends to be a culture where there are fewer people
who "need" to be code-warriors.  Face it, if one owns an M$ machine and
does much at all with it?  It's a matter of survival to approach the
level of a computer engineer.

OTOH?  Not only does that mean there are fewer Mac "owners" who can also
be of assistance..(that I get!) There tends to be a denial the the
earned good-fortune is a universal quality, a warranty against a problem.

Thus, there is a difference between "I don't know/I don't care" and
"You're [me] wrong/not doing enough/I don't believe it/that can't be."

The only fair response is "Wow, this is really weird...if there's a
reason, I have no clue for a remedy."

See, I have some pretty bright contacts?  They have enough humility (and
know the OS inside-out) to admit this is an anomaly. [abnormality,
irregularity, inconsistency, incongruity, aberration, quirk, rarity.]
Or, "I've not even heard of "this".

Plus, though I've only been in this world since last year?  I caught on
(and being a WinDoer), I prolly have more understanding of the OS than
my time would suggest.

While I'm  not above/beyond reproach...I've done much research, followed
any suggestion and have only left the most credible people scratching
their heads.

I don't want to debate, blame or alienate.  A fix is all I desire.  I
have no dog in this fight.

I can say that the Mac is a better machine --- But I still own it - - It
doesn't own me.  It's still a machine and I can't be a zealot or
crusader -- & I sense that many 'owners' see more of a 'relationship'
between operator and wires and/or need to (or appear to) deny the
fragility in any tool.

If I lack the degree of faith (which others can justify) it will only be
another 'skeptic' who will bail me out.

In other words:
The person who can stand back and not recite 'what should be'...Hey,
that's gonna be the only way to veer off he course of "abnormality,
irregularity, inconsistency, incongruity, aberration, quirk, rarity".

If I find out this is truly 'normal' (typical) or "my fault"...I'll
admit it.  After several days of dedication to applying all standard
(and available) advice...I'm still 'stuck'.

Pride, confidence and/or faith are great!
But, I need a solution - - I hope the former aren't preventing me from
finding objectivity (which is so far in short supply).

Michael