[G4] G4 start up problems

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sat Jan 7 23:44:20 PST 2006

On 7 January, 2006, at 2:26:50, Larry Parsons wrote:

> Well, I finally got the silly thing to boot up.  Don't know for
> sure what I did other than holding my mouth in a different way.  I
> still cannot start from the power button on the front of the case,
> starts just fine from the keyboard thopugh.  Shouldn't it fire up
> either way?????  Anybody got an idea???

 From your earlier post, I get the impression at this point that you
may have a faulty power button in the case. Its plug could have
become disconnected from the motherboard, have you checked for tight
connections? This button is a simple two position switch and can
break, so I suggest checking out the button function with a button
from a working case to narrow down the alternatives.

I have seen G3 B&Ws and iMacs with broken power buttons, but no G4s
yet. Just wait until I go to work Monday afternoon - there WILL be a
G4 with a broken button just to spite me.

During the diagnostic phase, I always look at the physical conditions
of the machine. Many times I have found simple things like an
internal power connection that isn't properly connected or an IDE
ribbon not inserted fully into the drive socket. Don't forget to
check all connections for tightness. which includes RAM chips.