[G4] SCSI Drives, Disks, etc.

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sat Jan 7 23:54:13 PST 2006

On 7 January, 2006, at 7:25:59, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:

> Is there any need to keep all these old SCSI drives, zip
> cartridges, jaz cartridges, Syquest drive, etc.? Isn't this stuff
> just too old to sell on ebay?
>
> I'm thinking ditto old modems, floppies with Photoshop v.3 and all
> that stuff, that I was saving to sell on ebay but just never had
> the time ...

Anne,

I do computer recycling for volunteer work as a way of keeping out
from under my wife's feet during the day, and I can tell you from
past experience that most of what you have mentioned is useful as
fishing weights and not much more.

SCSI drives of less than 9Gb just won't find a new home at all. The
same for Zip 100 machines and cartridges and Syquest drives with any
size cartridge. These things have mostly been replaced by the
proliferation of flash USB sticks and portable hard drives like the
Shuffle and iPod, All new Macs have a internal v90 or 92 modem, so
old and slow external ones are boat anchors/

Older programs might have some interest for people who are still
using previous versions of the OS, but even they want to run the
newest that are compatible with their machines.

You can try eBay or search for vendors like MacTreasures that might
offer you pennies on the dollar for those items, but don't hold your
breath while waiting for their decision to buy.

Just comments based on my six years of recycling Macs with Computers
for Classrooms, Inc.

Have a safe day.