[G4] Graphics card upgrade to run 20" cinema?

Richard Klein rich at richardklein.org
Mon Jul 10 13:08:17 PDT 2006

<quote who="Philip J Robar">

> On Jul 10, 2006, at 8:26 AM, JayB wrote:
>
>> I tried finding this answer on the archives search, and via a
>> general Google search- no joy.
>>
>> I've got a AGP 500 upgraded to 1gig. There's 2 RAGE 128 cards w/
>> 2x16mb. Running OS 10.3.9 w/ a gig of ram ....
>>
>> Just bought a 20" (cinema) Dell that has a native resolution of
>> 1680x1050.
>> I don't have that option in my display options.
>
> What options do you see? Is there an option to display unsupported
> resolutions?
>
> You don't say whether you have a PRO model or not, or whether you're
> connecting via analog (VGA) or digital (DVI). (If the card has DVI
> then you have a PRO model.) From what I've been able to find on the
> net either model card should be able to drive this monitor at it's
> native resolution via the VGA connector. However, older cards like
> these lack the digital bandwidth needed to support the native
> resolution via the DVI (digital) connector. (You're likely limited to
> 1280x1024.)
>
> You'll need to upgrade your card if you want to use a digital
> connection. Check with a knowledgeable source like http://
> www.smalldog.com or perhaps OWC (http://www.macsales.com).

My gigabit ethernet at home has an ATI Rage 128 in it.  I'm not sure about
the amount of VRAM.  I've got a Samsung Syncmaster 213T hooked up to it
via the VGA port (the card also has an ADC connector, but no DVI), and it
drives that monitor at 1600x1200.  I didn't do anything special to enable
that mode, so I guess I'm not much help, but the card should be able to
handle it.

-- Rich