[G4] (no subject)

Greg Manzie gmanzie at bigpond.net.au
Mon Mar 6 19:12:05 PST 2006

Hello Lisa

I don't know if this helps, but I had a similar problem in Panther
when my HD containing the operating system was too full. The
equivalent of OS 9 virtual memory (the memory manager in OS 10) needs
quite a bit of spare drive space to perform its function.
Particularly with things like Photoshop (check your scratch disk
preferences). When it is close to the limit, it starts the symptoms
that you are experiencing. In my case as time went on, it also
started to spread to other applications. Mail, Keyboard, Safari and
Word too (which got some of the blame) from memory.

I moved my large iTunes library to another HD and everything went
straight back to normal. I now make sure that I have a minimum of
about 15% spare capacity on my Operating System hard drive partition
(20% is probably better but about 2 Gig as a minimum).

As Tiger uses more HD space than previous OS's, I have had to install
a bigger internal drive. I now run two 120 Gig drives internally on a
G4 400 Yikes (OS 10.4.5).

If you move your iTunes or iPhoto library, make sure you read the
instructions from Apple properly first.

I think there are knowledge base articles about both of these issues
on the Apple site.

Good luck.

Regards

Greg Manzie