[G4] Zip Drives any good?

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sun Mar 19 02:55:15 PST 2006

On 18 March, 2006, at 9:53:12, Kevin Brocker wrote:

> I guess I'll forget about getting a zip, or using them for that
> matter.

I recently heard Chris Breen say that the Zip media were just as
likely to lose data or to fail to work as any CD or DVD disc. He said
that CDs and DVDs will suffer from layer separation after time,
scratches from mis-handling, die sublimation caused by exposure to
sunlight, and finally just get lost in your closet right when you
need them.

His advice was to use tape as your main back-up media because of its
longevity and durability in proper storage facilities. If you can't
use tape, his suggestion was to make multiple back-up copies to DVD
and place them in numerous locations. If your house or office burned
down with your computer AND your back-up copies, where would you be?
The caveat of this advice is that you should examine your copies from
time to time and re-duplicate them on fresh media to ensure a viable
copy.

His ultimate advice and suggestion was to make a complete copy of
your hard drive onto a second and third drive to be stored in
separate locations from your computer. This alternative seemed to me
to be the best method because drives are getting cheaper and a
firewire/USB external case can be used with many drives in turn for
the duplication and programs like SuperDuper and CarbonCopyCloner are
available for the time of downloading.

As to my personal experience with Zip media, I have heard the "click
of death" many more times than I want to remember. Many times it was
the drive unit, but the media are also at risk more than I like. A
Zip drive unit can be easily replaced, but not the data on a
cartridge that won't mount any more.

As Chris said, make more than only one back-up copy of your work and
do it on a religious schedule without fail. The time you don't do it
will be the time you needed to.