[G4] Zip Drives any good?

Tim Collier collierof1957 at mac.com
Sun Mar 19 03:53:38 PST 2006

On Mar 19, 2006, at 12:53 AM, Kevin Brocker wrote:

> I guess I'll forget about getting a zip, or using them
> for that matter.
>
> Thanks
I agree with all of the other posters.  I never really had experience
with a zip drive until I bought an older Blue & White G3.  One of the
first things I bought for it was a CD-RW, DVD RW drive (cheap) and it
works like a charm.  I have other Macs:  G4 iBook (the one I'm using
now), a dual 2 gig G5 and a dual 1 gig G4 (the G4 has the space [like
you described] for the zip drive but none is installed).  I started
using Macs back in 2001, switching from PC.  So anyway, none of them
can communicate using a zip drive.  The one in the G3 gets very
little use.  I am waiting for a 6500 (Monday) which will also have a
zip drive.  We'll see how useful it is in regard to data copied on a
zip drive.  But anyway, it's an outdated technology.  CD's and DVD's
can be recorded in minutes, sometimes less like on a CD-RW and you're
copying just a few files, it takes seconds.  Of course having all of
your Macs networked is the ultimate solution and I've done that so
files fly around the house in cyberspace.  Just my thought and
comments....zip drive is a novelty, now, nice to have and look at,
but of no real value.

Tim
Exterminate all rational thought.