[G4] Re: Panther install question

Ray Clayton ramar.clayton at verizon.net
Mon Nov 6 06:12:06 PST 2006

> I've finally decided to upgrade to OSX?Panther disks on the way. But I'm
> wondering if I should anticipate a problem with creating my account.
>
> I bought the G4 used on eBay and although I've only used 9.2.2, it already
> had 10.1 installed also. I remember the original owner's name, but, of
> course, I don't know his password. What problems should I anticipate?
> Workaround?
>
> Or will the setup Assistant allow me to create my Administrator Account?
>
> Ray
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 19:56:07 -0700
> From: R Michael Vogt <michael at wbsnet.org>
> Subject: Re: [G4] Panther install question
> To: "A place to discuss Apple's G4 computers."
> <g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>

> On Nov 5, 2006, at 7:26 PM, Ray Clayton wrote:
>
>> I've finally decided to upgrade to OSX?Panther disks on the way.
>> But I'm
>> wondering if I should anticipate a problem with creating my account.
>>
>> I bought the G4 used on eBay and although I've only used 9.2.2, it
>> already
>> had 10.1 installed also. I remember the original owner's name, but, of
>> course, I don't know his password. What problems should I anticipate?
>> Workaround?
>>
>> Or will the setup Assistant allow me to create my Administrator
>> Account?
>>
>> Ray
>
> Hi Ray
> does the G4 have two Hard Drives in it ?
> if so It would be great if OS 9 is on one drive then 10 is on the
> other drive.
> if not you can change the password with your panther disk when you
> get them you will have to boot with CD hold down the c key go into
> password utilities put in the new password don't put it on the root
> one but the one the name of the hard drive.
> But The name of the guy will still be there  you can change the
> admin. name everything also
>

> Michael Vogt <><

Great useful answer, Michael. Because the hard drive has been partitioned.
The smaller partition (10 GB) has the System Folder (9.2.2), the System
(10.1) and all the applications. The larger partition (30 GB) has only files
and file folders.

So if I understand you correctly, I can install Panther on the larger data
partition with all the Admin privileges and password, etc.?

And then, eventually remove 10.1 from the smaller partition? Am I on the
right track?

I don't know nuthin' about no OS X.

Ray