[G4] Re: Panther install question

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Mon Nov 6 12:43:14 PST 2006

On 6 November, 2006, at 6:12:06, Ray Clayton wrote:

> So if I understand you correctly, I can install Panther on the
> larger data
> partition with all the Admin privileges and password, etc.?
>
> And then, eventually remove 10.1 from the smaller partition? Am I
> on the
> right track?

You could do this, but (and it's a big BUT)........ One of the things
that OS-X does that no previous system did is to put a whole bunch of
invisible files on the drive when it is installed. You cannot just do
an "Uninstall Program" like some programs let you do.

You normally do not see those invisible files (because Apple did not
want you to see them or mess with them and hid them from you) and
cannot tell if they have been removed or not. You need to boot into
OS-9 in order to see these files. From there, you can select them and
delete them without any problem.

To get to OS-9, you should select it as your boot system in the
Startup Disk preference and then reboot the machine.