[G4] Apple applications not responding.

David Russell david at coffeehouseculture.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Nov 28 07:38:54 PST 2006

Hi Guys,

I am using a G4 1.4 Mhz OSX.3.9. When I started up this morning I found
that some of my Apple applications were not responding. Initially it
was Safari and Mail that would just bounce in the dock and not do
anything. I subsequently discovered that iCal, iPhoto and a non-Apple
utility -- World Clock -- were also not responding. I did not look
further but I bet that there are system-based applications that are
also not going to work. Otherwise the system works fine and all my
other apps open perfectly.

I tried to repair permissions on the disk in question but Disk Utility
just hung and I had to force quit to get rid of it.

I was able to start up from a remote disk and all the apps ran fine
from that. Except that I seem to have lost about six months worth of
mail and none of my cookies work.

I was able to run Disk Utility on the dodgy disk from the remote disk
and it ran perfectly. I also ran Disk Warrior on the disk. However,
when I started from that disk there was no change.

I am now running from my remote disk and I have been trying to find out
what might be wrong. But I figure this is the best place to ask. I bet
one of you gurus can tell me.

I tried retrieve my lost mail using the import facilty in Mail but,
although I have two remote disks both containing complete clones of the
main start-up disk (which presumably contain copies of the Mail
software), the program couldn't find any other versions of Mail to
import from. So where has my mail gone and how can I get it back? Or
better, how can I get my usual start-up disk to the applications on it
as it should?

Advice would be appreciated.

David