[G4] Help, I think my sawtooth died!

Carol Leger java_j at macosx.com
Sat Oct 14 19:49:28 PDT 2006

Hi Folks,

While I was worrying about a new DVD drive for my MMD, I think my
sawtooth died!

Here is what happened.

I attempted to boot it up, and I heard a strange sound, not the boot up
chime.  The power light flickered.  Then I got the boot chime.

The screen went grey and came up with text that said I was in open
firmware.  It wanted me to type mac-boot or shut-down.  I typed
mac-boot.  It did not do much of anything, It certainly did not boot.  I
finally pushed the reset button and tried again.  This time when I was
asked to type mac-boot or shut-down, I typed shut down.  Now, it does
not respond at all.  Is it dead?

It is not worth fixing, if it is not something simple.  I have not added
or removed anything from it.  Would a bad battery do this?  It is the
original battery, so it is 6 years old.

Carol