[G4] flash drive question (again)

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sun Oct 29 22:44:19 PST 2006

On 29 October, 2006, at 5:24:44, Ray Clayton wrote:

> I do most of my work at home on a G4/733, OS9.2.2

> Now the files I want to transfer from the flash drive show up with a
> generic/gray preview and have to be opened and re saved. The same
> files
> prepared the same way transfer with no problem when burned and
> transferred
> by CD.
>
> Must be something about the flash drive, yes? Suggestions,
> workarounds?
>
> I've tried to re-format the flash drive on the G4 to MSDOS FAT16 as
> SanDisk
> suggested, but now I get all PC files that Photoshop won't/can't open.
>
> Suggestions, workarounds?

  I wonder why the suggestion was made to reformat the flash drive.
As long as it was being recognized, it did not NEED to be reformatted.

IMHO, your problem arose because you were trying to transfer files
from a OS-9 machine to a OS-X machine without having saved those
files in OS-X format in the first instance. OS-X looks for
information in the file identification that OS-9 never heard of and
can't put in.

That causes confusion to the OS-X machine. Shame on you for abusing
that poor little machine, you bully, you.

If you upgrade your home OS to X, you should eliminate your office
machine's confusion.