[G4] Browsers not opening

Richard Klein rich at richardklein.org
Thu Sep 7 21:57:26 PDT 2006

gary usww wrote:
> I asked this question a few days ago, but I want to
> run it again and get some more advice.  I recently
> moved from one apartment to another about
> 1.5 miles away, and since the move I haven't been able
> to successfully open any of my browsers (Camino,
> Explorer, Safari, and Mozilla) on my G4/466, (OS
> 10.2.8), and it also affects my System Preferences
> when I attempt to open the "Internet" section.  I had
> DSL service from Qwest (I live in the Denver area),
> and I had it transferred to the new place, adding MSN
> Premium through a special offer.  Now all of my
> browsers quit immediately after starting.  Has anyone
> else had this experience?  I don't know if it's the
> service, or if I picked up a virus before moving and
> it's just coincidence that my browsers are just now
> going goofy.  I also have a Windows laptop, and that's
> still working fine.  Your advice would be greatly
> appreciated.

I don't really have any idea, but if the Windows laptop has no problem
browsing the web on the same line then I highly doubt it's either the
service or a virus.  Have you tried any other network services on the
Mac besides web browsing?  Try pinging my server (66.92.66.20), for
instance.  There's probably some setting on the Mac that needs to be
changed (like the gateway IP address or something), but once I got the
network connection up on my Mac I completely forgot what was involved,
so I can't help you much there.

Good luck!
--
Rich