[G4] Re: Upgrade dilemma(s0

nagable at comcast.net nagable at comcast.net
Wed Apr 11 21:13:28 PDT 2007

The Mac Mini uses real RAM for video RAM, and extra hard drives would have to be external.  If these are issues, stay with the G4.  But an Intel dual core processor is 10 times faster than a G4 (well, much faster, anyway), and the next Mac Mini modification SHOULD have the dual core processor, if Apple is willing to sell them that way.  The Mac Mini would have a faster processor in any case.

I installed a Sonnet G4 dual 1.8GHz in my Quicksilver 2002, and I'm happy. The Quicksilver 2002 has 133MHz RAM, so it's faster than the graphite G4s. But as yet i don't do much video or use other processor-intensive apps (except Photoshop and not much of that).  It's a tough choice.  Everything wil be obsolete eventually.

Nate

From: James Asherman <jimash at optonline.net>