[G4] Seagate drive

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Apr 13 02:21:57 PDT 2007

On 12 Apr, 2007, at 5:55 PM, Mark Sexton wrote:

> However, upon reboot after the drive's installation, disk utility
> recognizes this drive as only a 120 GB drive.  I seem to remember
> some issue maybe long ago w/ OS 9 recognizing larger drives, but
> not OS X.  Could someone shed some light as to how I get this mac
> to see the drive for its true self in all its 250 GB glory.

Your machine is limited in its ability to "see" the total space
available on the new drive. The "seeable" limit is 120Gb and any
volume above that will not be accessible either.

In order to see the entire volume of the larger than 120Gb drive, you
will need to install a high-volume ATA controller card in one of the
PCI slots and connect the large drive to it. Check out the Sonnet
Technologies line of Tempo model controller cards and cables for more
information.

I installed the Sonnet Tempo ATA 133 controller in my GBit G4 and
added two extra drives on it, both over 120Gb capacity.