[G4] SATA Superdrives

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Wed Apr 18 06:49:46 PDT 2007

Yes, get a SATA II controller.  Make sure that it says that it works on Macs.  A 2-port SATA II PCI card controller used to cost about $50.  May be a bit less by now.

But, I was not aware that optical drives are coming out in SATA now.  I thought that they were still EIDE.

As for hard drives, 250 GB SATA II drives are not all that expensive anymore.  In fact, 500 GB SATA II drives cost less than $150 at my favorite source: http://www.newegg.com.  You can also get Mac-capable SATA II controller cards there.  My own preference, BTW, is Samsung HD's.

I bought three Samsung SATA II's recently, one to upgrade the internal HD in my wife's G5 iMac, and one each for external FW enclosures (the new Oxford 924 chip set handles SATA drives) for backups and cloning for each of our iMacs (mine is an Intel Core Duo, already with 500 GB installed inside).  That way, if either of our internal drives should fail, we have standby duplicates ready to install in their places.  I got these really neat external enclosures from newegg.com as well (brand name = "Icy Dock", about $75 each).

Good luck,

--Steve