[G4] Re: Firewire target disc mode G4

Ben Smith ben.smith at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 17 10:03:41 PDT 2007

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:02:41 -0700
> From: les s <indee77 at verizon.net>
> Subject: [G4] Firewire target disc mode G4
> To: g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
>
> Hi all,
> I have 2 G4 Sawtooths connected via firewire - but i cannot make target
> disc mode work ie. the target drive does not appear on the desktop.
> I've followed Apple's instructions, checked cable, etc, etc - no go.
> I'm running OSX 10.3.9. Thanks in advance for help
> cheers, Les

Les,
Are you running the boot drive on the on-board IDE cable or on a PCI
card? as far as I am aware target disk mode will only work if there is a
HDD on the primary on-board controller, also you can only see that HDD
and no other IDE or SCSI devices (HDD, CD/DVD, Zip etc).
If there is no drive on the internal bus then the Mac will just ignore
any attempt to put it into target disk mode (at least that is my
experience with my MDD).
Also if it is booting to the FireWire icon but the drive is not
mounting, try going into drive setup and see if the HDD is shown, if you
are mixing OS's then it may be a format problem.
Ben.

NB the HDD probably has to be set as slave with the CD/DVD as master as
that is how they shipped I believe.