[G4] Upgrading g4 to a larger internal bootable hard drive

J.M.P.Hissel jomph at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 29 16:59:47 PDT 2007

On 30-08-2007 00:50, CHARLES JENNINGS, cjenn2006 at verizon.net, wrote:

> Jo  You said my serial no. is XB032KAM8G not true the
> serial no. is XB2042NBM8G.

Charles, sorry but it was not ME who said your Serial Number is XB032KAM8G,
but it was YOU who wrote that in your first message! Sorry again but look it
back in your former message.

Anyways, the info for the "new" Serial Number will be:
Serial number: XB2042NBM8G
Name: Power Macintosh G4 (Quicksilver 2002)
Model: M8666 PowerMac G4 933MHz Drive=Superdrive
Bus speed: 133MHz
Factory: XB (ElkGrove/Sacramento, California)
V73474Y3P22

Model introduced: 2002
Production year: 2002
Production week: 04 (January)
Production number: 3071 (within this week)

To check it yourself, for any Apple model, goto:
<http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html>
and enter your Serial Number (always has 11 characters).

>Did you get the rest of my email about upgrading my g4

Yes but I want to make a test first. Tell you the story:
This week I bought 2 Hitachi Deskstar 320 GB 7200 rpm. The one I have
already put in a QS 800/'02 (SN: CK206HBCMJP) for a client and the second I
still have to put in a same QS 800/'02 (SN: CK212H15MJP), I have in use
myself.
To answer your query "...Hitachi OEM and some are Hitachi/IBM OEM, is
there any diff in quality..", AFAIK they are the same for Hitachi is
producing all IBM HD's.
The second part of your query "...and last is internal faster
than external.Using firewire 400?", brought me on the idea to put the new
2nd 320 GB first in an external FW-case and test the read/write speeds in
practice for in theory we have heard/read enough!
Seen the fact that it's nearly 02.00 AM here now, I'll do the test after a
nice sleep and report later this evening.

Greetings from Amsterdam (The Netherlands),

Jo Hissel