[G4] G4 Powermac still wont startup

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sat Feb 3 14:35:52 PST 2007

On Feb 3, 2007, at 11:16 AM, Ashton Lawrence wrote:

> YEs it does start up, but it doesn't get any further.  I reach the
> screen where there's nothing but a flashing question mark.
> I've tried to find some help on apples site, but still can't get it
> working.

The flashing question mark indicates that there is NO SYSTEM
installed on your hard drive. You need to install a valid operating
system in order to proceed any further than you have gotten so far.

A good bet is to try searching eBay for a Mac OS installation CD (of
whatever version you want to install) and buy it. Another good source
would be a local Mac User Group if there is one in your area.

When you get the installation CD, start your Mac and open the CD
drive tray, insert the CD, close the tray, and then wait for the Mac
to recognize the valid OS on the CD and boot. After the Mac finishes
booting, you will see an icon that says something like "Install".
Double-click that icon and follow the instructions on screen to
install a valid OS on your Mac.

I would recommend using the drive utility on the CD to initialize the
drive before installing the OS if you are going to use OS-9. It will
be in a folder on the CD. If you are going to use OS-X, it will give
you an opportunity to erase the drive before installing the OS.

Welcome to the world of Macintosh.