[G4] Router trouble - Fixed!

kris kriss at pobox.mtaonline.net
Tue Feb 13 22:48:54 PST 2007

On Feb 13, 2007, at 9:08 PM, Carol wrote:

> Thanks so much for this.  It worked!  I was missing steps c-d.  I
> will certainly save these instructions in case I need to do this
> again.
>
> The only thing I am unsure about is whether I should choose 'Select
> on Demand' or 'Keep Alive' for Connection.  I chose the former,
> since it was the default.
>
> Carol

I'm so glad this helped out Carol. You rock!

Select on Demand means that your DSL connection closes for lack of
activity after a determined period of time. The DSL will reconnect
again when needed you need it. There is a slight delay as the DSL
unit needs to acquire an IP addy. You might, or might not acquire a
new IP address using this process.

Keep Alive means that your DSL is always connected and has an IP
addy. The router does this by periodically requesting data so your
DSL connection never closes. In so doing you can keep your IP addy
the same for quite some time. Even though it's a dynamic IP in
practice. There then is no delay when you are ready to use your
computer.

Either choice is the correct one for you to use. Either of the two
work and it's just nitpicking configuration.

Kristen