[G4] DVR problem

Margaret Krakowiak imago at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 20 11:35:27 PST 2007

My computer:  G4 gig ethernet, dual 450

Current OS:  9.1, I want to upgrade to X - finally, I know, I know.

My problem:
My original internal DVD drive was dying.
I bought a Pioneer DVR - 109 and replaced the old.
Installation was easy, but, the button on my drive door
does not line up with the DVR 109, which came with no
front bezel, hence no button of its own. On OWC, it said
the drive was perfectly compatible with my computer model.
Ok, so I can use my keyboard to open the drive, right?
I did this, the drive tray slid out, I put a disk in.
But now, when I hit the keyboard to eject, or drag the disk
to the trash to eject, or use the special menu, the tray opens,
and then immediately slides back in, before I can remove the disk,
and then the disk no longer shows up on my desktop.
If I re-boot, it mounts again.
Also, the drive tray does *not* respond to a paperclip
in the tiny hole, or pressing its own recessed button.
(no front bezel, so there's no actual button, just an oblong opening,
which, if I insert a pentip, I can feel the button depressing)

I called OWC, and they said it was because I was still on 9.1,
and that when I upgrade to X I won't have the problem.
But - how can I upgrade when I need to use the DVD drive for
the disks to intall OS X? When I eject the diskthat's currently in there,
I can manually hold the tray open and quickly switch disks - the new disk does mount,
but this seems very bad for the drive, as it's tugging on the tray to close it.
I just don't understand, I need this drive to work with 9.1 while I upgrade
to X - if this drive is not compatible with 9.1, is there one that is?
Should I try and return it to OWC - but then get what instead?
Or is there a workaround for the problem with this drive?

margaret