[G4] G4 400 (PCI) success

Earle Jones earle.jones at comcast.net
Sun Mar 4 13:32:53 PST 2007

On Mar 4, 2007, at 1:19 PM, Celia Lawton-Livingstone wrote:

> I just wanted to let those of you who helped me with some questions
> about my Power Mac that It's now up and running with OS X 10.3.9.
>
> I added 256mb of Ram and after a visit to Apple.com discovered that
> I didn't need OS 9 after all as the firmware didn't need updating
> to run OS X.  I was even more pleased to find that the restore
> discs for a G4 iBook I was given installed without a hitch (can you
> imagine trying to install Vista on a 1999 PC?... in your dreams)
> and I updated it to the present OS.  I've also found that my mini
> usb mouse works very nicely with it too... can't stand that 1
> button mouse I'm afraid... I keep wanting to right-click... LOL.
> Just needs some more RAM, extra usb ports, a wireless card, a DVD-
> RW and I'll be happy... I really like it and I've even been looking
> at new iMacs... not as expensive as I thought.
>
> My first impressions of the operating system are favourable... very
> similar to my Ubuntu distro in the way it works so I don't think it
> will take too long for me to be completely comfortable with it.
>
> Cely

*
Cely:  Greetings!

I am running an Intel IMac and Sys X 10.4.8.  I have a copy of Ubuntu
version 6.06.1 LTS for Mac.

I haven't loaded it yet, but I thought I'd put it on a dedicated
external disk just to become familiar with it -- learn a bit about
Linux, mess around, etc.

I am an old Mac hand with very little PC experience.

What do you recommend?  Should I do it?

Thanks,

earle
*