[G4] G4 400 (PCI) success

Skygram skygram at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 13:50:43 PST 2007

Hi Cely and Earl,

I have spent that past few days playing with Ubuntu 6.10 and Suse 10.2. on
an older PC that I own. Initially I had SUSE 10.1 installed and it worked
great. However I was trying to get a wireless adapter installed and it was
very difficult. So I downloaded the complete SUSE 10.2 and attempted to
reinstall that version.

To make a long story short. I have had nothing but problems with SUSE 10.2.
This version has protocols for WIFI and that is why I wanted to install it.

Bottom line is that think that my download was the problem. It took a very
long time, much longer than when I downloaded SUSE 10.1 and it seems too
problematic for me to continue with it.

So I downloaded Ubuntu 6.10. I have used Ubuntu in the past and it was
always terrific. Now the new version 6.10 is quite different from 6.0.6 in
how it installs. So be careful. In spite of this, it works great!

My current problem is fonts. The fonts that come with it are clunky and very
non-standard. So I have spent a long time today trying to figure out how to
install Microsoft fonts in Ubuntu.

Nevertheless I shall prevail!

Bill
Montreal