[G4] Re: Mac Classic Environment

Celia Lawton-Livingstone lawli56 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 9 08:40:55 PST 2007

>Message: 6
>Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 22:22:01 -0600
>From: Ralph Garrett <ralphbones at kc.rr.com>
>Subject: Re: [G4] Re: Mac Classic Environment
>To: "A place to discuss Apple's G4 computers."
>	<g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>

>On Mar 6, 2007, at 11:26 AM, Celia Lawton-Livingstone wrote:
>

> > Here in the UK I would estimate 90 - 95% of all computers are PCs.
> > In fact until I got this one I had never actually seen a Mac in
> > real life.  I had always considered them an over-priced poor cousin
> > of the PC, but then I was judging them by PC standards... MS
> > indoctrination? I now realise that Macs are far more durable and
> > long-lived than PCs and even the old ones are pretty powerful
> > compared to a PC of the same era (I definately need to know more
> > about the chip and motherboard architecture)... try running XP or
> > Vista on a 1999 built PC... huh, I think not!
>

>I have a Mac 8600 circa 1996 with a G4 CPU running at 450 MHz (2
>generations above the CPU it shipped with) a Gig of RAM, 5 internal
>hard drives and running OS X.3. Yes they did and do make some durable
>machines.

I don't find the learning curve particularly difficult either.  I've learnt
all about Windows sharing and now have my Mac quite happilly sharing files
with my XP Pro and 2000 desktops and my XP Home laptop.  I haven't booted up
into Ubuntu(dual booted with 2000) yet, but I'm sure I'm manage to sort that
out too.  But I'm having trouble getting OS X to print properly on the
shared windows printer.  It's an HP Deskjet 940c and the driver doesn't seem
to be in the package on my restore discs.  I've tried using the nearest
driver to it but all I get is the printer spitting out loads of empty pages
and then a lot of gobbledegook. :(

So if anyone knows where I can find the driver or knows of an alternative
that works I'd be eternally grateful.  I've had no luck so far trying to
locate it.

Cely