[G4] Newbie

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Sat Nov 17 14:49:46 PST 2007

Am 17.11.2007 um 14:39 schrieb Shadra Strickland:

> Hi,
> I  am no techie.  I just bought a second hand G4 and would like to
> use my G3 as a server.  Currently, my roommate and I share internet
> connection where my G3 is the internet hub.
> I would like to learn how to swap the G4 in my office space and
> move my G3 to my studio (another room of the apartment).
> I would also like to know how to swap the files directly from the
> G# to the G4.
>
> I don't do much high end stuff with my machine (as you can tell).
> I am a designer and generally only run CS.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> I also have recently ordered a SCSI card to install into the G3.
> Would I then be able to swap files through that?
>
> -Shadra

First question that comes to my mind is, why did you order a SCSI
card? It's useful for hooking up SCSI drives and other devices, such
as scanners. It's not the best way to upgrade a system since there
are SATA cards available for getting large, fast, modern drives
installed.

Aside from that though, you can use networking to get the files
moved. You could even just transfer your entire home folder from one
to the other. Bear in mind this won't transfer the old user account,
but you could take all of the folders from the old home folder and
put them into your other computer's home.

It sounds like you know how to get them networked together, since you
have the G3 acting as a router, if I understand your message
correctly. Do you intend to continue using the G3 as your router (aka
internet hub) after the files are moved? If so, sounds like you can
just transfer files and move the systems around (in no particular
order) and just make sure you keep the network connections similar to
how they have been, so that the G3 can continue to do its job.

If there's more to it than that, please elaborate. I'd be glad to
offer what assistance I can.

Eric