[G4] Crawling Finder

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Thu Oct 4 01:43:54 PDT 2007

On 3 Oct, 2007, at 20:33, Eric Wood wrote:

> My first serious suggestion is to try with a different user account.
> This way you can isolate whether it's a problem with user prefs or the
> system proper. If the problem runs deeper than the user account, you
> might be looking at reinstallation. I can't imagine that whatever is
> wrong could be very easily corrected otherwise.

I agree with Eric on this situation. It appears that your wife
dragged more than she intended to and has created a super problem.
Perhaps some needed system software parts got selected during the
"drag and drop". Using a different user account is an easy way to
determine whether you have a "local" problem or a "total" problem.

If there is no other user account to boot into, you will probably
have to do a clean install from your original disks to get back your
desktop functions. Just do an "Archive and Install" option during the
installation and do not allow it to import any settings from the old
system. That will help avoid any corruption that may be lurking in
the old System.