[G4] G4 QS 2002 improvements (1st post)

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Mon Sep 24 00:24:24 PDT 2007

On 22 Sep, 2007, at 20:07, Charles Williams wrote:

> I have upgraded to a G4 QS 2002 800/256/40/CDR... and I want to add
> more RAM, HD capacity and a DVD burner. I'll be running OSX10.4,
> and having a close look at 10.5 when it comes out.
>
> My main uses are email, word processing and surfing the net. I also
> want to store my CD collection (600+ CDs) in FLAC format on a large
> HD.
>
> I also have a (spare) graphite base station that I would like to
> use in place of buying an airport card (is this a go-er?)
>
> What would experienced G4 users suggest?

Put most of your money into the RAM upgrade and then a larger hard
drive. You can find a good new DVD burner by searching the net for
vendors with Pioneer brand burners and they will be a lot cheaper
than trying to buy a superdrive from Apple.

Haven't used an airport base, so no comment on that question.

You might consider an upgrade for your processor, but 800 is still
good for what you describe as your normal usage. With your case, you
could simply install another hard drive on the carrier, hook it up,
and format it for your music storage. Your machine will support large
size drives, so you don't have the 128Gb limit staring in your face.