[G4] Wanted - MDD FW 400 system install disks

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Mon Mar 3 14:53:13 PST 2008

It may help to review the lowendmac discussion about this machine.
http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/mdd-power-mac-g4-dual.html

If I follow this thread correctly, you already installed OS X 10.2 on
your MDD.  Did you check the box for installing OS 9 Disk Drivers?  And
you have the Firmware Update 4.4.8.  That is fine, but not required for
the machine to run with either OS.

It is generally best to install OS 9 before installing OS X.  That is
to ensure that the OS 9 Disk Drivers are installed.  If you install OS
X first, there is a check box in the Disk Utility Partition window
where you can install the OS 9 Disk Drivers.  That will prepare the
machine for installing and running OS 9.2.x  .

OS installers that came with a specific model are designed by Apple to
work only with that model.  You need either the OS 9.2 installer
designed for your MDD or a retail version of 9.2.x.  With your retail
version of OS 10.2, I believe you already have the OS 9 installer,
usually on the second disk of the set.

Other things to think about -- with a Google search on "OS 9.2 retail,"
you can find OS 9.2.1 available.  Also, a Google search on "OS 9.2.2
for MDD" gets you more info.  Others have been there before you.  The
normal path to the 9.2.2 Update is via the free Apple download, but you
can find it in disk images or other non-Apple CDs.

Good luck!  Let us know how you make out.

Al Poulin