[G4] OS 9 on os 10.4.11

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Tue Nov 18 00:50:15 PST 2008

On Nov 17, 2008, at 4:33 PM, kanegrfx at earthlink.net wrote:

> when I try to start os 9.1 on my G4 running os 10.4.11 the start up
> window appears for only about 5 seconds and then
> disappears, without launching os 9.1, I have downloaded up grades
> for 9.2 but cant seem to do that. I have a quadra 500 gig external
> hard drive connected by firewire if that helps. I have adobe
> software that I was running on a b&W G3 that I would like to use. I
> dont know
> what type of G4 I have yikes? sawtooth? the ser# is xbo422gdj3b and
> on the back of the computer states model # M5183 also I have
> the original software cd for the B&W G3 plus plus the cd for 9.1 any
> suggestions would be helpful,

It appears that you have lost something in your installed OS-9. Have
you deleted any part of the installed OS-9 software recently? I
suggest trying to do a "Clean Install" of OS-9.1 from your CD to
recover any missing parts. After doing the re-installation, you should
be able to boot to OS-9.x and do the v9.2.2 update.

Your model is the AGP graphics model G4 (Sawtooth or P5) according to
MacTracker, and was manufactured from September, 1999, to July, 2000.
It came originally with OS-8.6 or OS-9.0 and can run OS-10.4.11 with
the G4 Firmware update v4.2.8 installed.