[G4] Re: airport question

Margaret Krakowiak imago at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 19 10:06:38 PST 2008

Thanks, Alan and Harry for your replies to my aiport question.
So then all I need to get is the router, that's what I wanted to know.
I don't need an airport card or a base station, as I just have the one
desktop running, connected to the internet via dsl.
I haven't gotten the list via email since 11/15, I hope that's just
because
there weren't enough messages to send as a digest. Because...

I finally made all the transfers from my DP 450 to my new QS DP 1gig!

I put 10.4.11 and 9.2.2 on the 160 gig drive it came with, and then I
added
my 250 gig in there too. Unfortunately the 160gig drive that was in
there, in position
3, should have had the extra drive carrier on top, but it was gone,
as was
the plate in position 2. Since I had the 250gig drive in position 2
in my 450, I just
pulled that out with the plate and made the swap. I also used the PCI
card
for larger drives that I had in my 450 to connect it. The QS accepts
larger
size drives, but in position 2, the cable from the drive in position
3 would
only work if I could've put the other drive on top. (I know I
could've pulled the
carrier from the 450, but it still has 2 drives on it, and I haven't
decided on those).
And I have my external FW 250 gig drive plugged in. It has 10.4.11 on
it, plus a
lot of stuff I copied from my old drives.
I also maxed out the ram by adding a 3rd 512 stick that I pulled from
my 450.
(I'd bought the pc133 instead of pc100 when I last bought ram, just
in case, so
that worked to my advantage now)
Internet connected with no problems at all, which had been my main
worry.
DHCP connection worked flawlessly right off the bat.
The only other thing was that it was said to have an nVidia Geforce
4MX 64MB
card in it, and it actually had an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro, 64MB. I think
the cards are comparable,
(any opinions?) but when I went to plug in my CRT there was no VGA port.
Lucky for me I had the right adapter on hand.
All in all, considering I got it for $250, I'm pretty happy.
Note to Doyle: so far the fan noise doesn't bother me too much, but
I'm saving the info
you shared with me on that, just in case!

margaret