[G4] Used Mac market and rumored new Mac pricing

Brian Deuel briandeuel at lavabit.com
Sun Oct 12 14:27:15 PDT 2008

On Oct 11, 2008, at 2:20 AM, Eric Wood wrote:

> Am 10.10.2008 um 22:54 schrieb Brian Deuel:
>
>> If Apple starts selling a "starter" Macbook for $799, as is
>> rumored, will this kill the high-priced used Mac market? I'm
>> speaking specifically of Powerbook G4s in all of their forms.
>>
>> Discuss.
>>
>> Brian
>
> It's bound to lower prices, I reckon. It is surprising that used
> PowerPC systems remain so pricey. I just hope Apple isn't letting
> quality slip too far in producing something at that price.
>
> Personally, I'm out to avoid Intel as a whole, since they do tend to
> dominate the market with tactics going beyond competitive pricing
> and quality. Since there's no AMD Mac to be found, I'm left with
> older Macs. I'd be glad to see prices go down, of course. I suppose
> they must do just due to Apple's abandonment of the PPC with Snow
> Leopard, though cheaper Intel machines would likely accelerate this.
> That's my thinking.

I think it'll take some time, and used inventory piling up in sellers'
homes/garages/apartments, before prices will drop. But I think the
days of $800 used Powerbooks is over, even if the opening price point
is $899. There would be no point in spending that much on PPC
technology when Mactel machines are starting so low. And by killing
that market, I'm talking completely. $300-$400 MAX on those 'books
will be the most anyone could get. The prices would rival used PC
notebooks.

That's what I think, anyway.

Brian