[G4] Best utility software.

Jay E. Krauss, Jr. jekrauss at charter.net
Fri Apr 10 04:33:12 PDT 2009

At various times I have used Norton's, Virus Barrier, ClamAV, and
ProtectMac. Norton's and Virus Barrier both interfered with use of
the computer; Virus Barrier REALLY slowed down backups.
Clam AV is freeware; ProtectMac appears to minimally interfer with
computer operations. ProtectMac did find a couple Windows viruses
hiding in some email attachments. Clam AV apparently is only designed
to protect the Unix underpinnings of Mac OS X.
Since Mac OS X specific virii have been essentially nonexistent
(though MS Office macro viruses may have the potential to cause
harm), cannot actual judge how well antivirus software programs
protect "in the wild".