[G4] Sawtooth cycles on-off

CDT cdt at globaldsl.net
Wed Apr 15 09:14:17 PDT 2009

You might want to try the Open Firmware resets:  Restart the computer
and immediately after the chime, press and hold the Option, Command,
letter "O" and letter "F" keys simultaneously until a message appears
telling you to release them.  (The machine is now booted into Open
Firmware).  Then type the following lines exactly and press the
return key:

reset-nvram (hit the return key)
set-defaults (return)
reset-all (return)

The Mac will restart and should boot normally.  If you are still
having problems, it may be time for a PMU reset.  This link will walk
you through it.  http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1939  If you want more
background info, do a google search for "apple MDD PMU reset" which
will bring up a plethora of links.

Dan T

On Apr 15, 2009, at 8:07 AM, Peter Webster wrote:

> Dear Wise-List:
>
> My 500GHz Sawtooth, 1 GB sdram, OS 10.3.9, external LaCie FireWire
> 120GB, esternal Maxtor USB 160GB, 17" flat Studio monitor, is
> sometime cycling on-off.
>
> The "on" button on the computer case stays lit, I can hear the CPU
> powering down, then up, then down, and last time, the monitor went
> dark and I had to pull the plug.
Snip