[G4] What Have I Done To Deserve This

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Sun Feb 15 16:06:57 PST 2009

Am 15.02.2009 um 13:57 schrieb gifutiger:

> So my advice is set your drives to cable select it there is a
> setting otherwise set them both to "Master"

The link you provided (http://developer.apple.com/documentation/
Hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G4/PowerMacG4/3Input-Output/
chapter_4_section_5.html) does not say to set both drives to master,
and indeed that would be incorrect. When two IDE drives share a
cable, then you do just as the Apple documentation says to do: Set
both drives to Cable Select, so that each will automatically be
assigned to either Master or Slave. Two masters on one chain is
incorrect.

Good deal if you get away with doing that, but I say it's risky. The
only time you have two masters in a system is if they are using
separate cables, and a master may or may not have a slave - that's
entirely optional, although some drives do have a separate setting
for being the only drive, I've noticed. I think that's either old-
fashioned or limited to certain brands, however.

Eric W.