What have I done/[G4] Nostalgia

CDT cdt at globaldsl.net
Sun Feb 22 08:52:58 PST 2009

> Subject: Re: [G4] Nostalgia's not what it used to be, en-it ?
>

> Ok I'll try again

snip

For what its worth, I am still getting your messages on the G4 list.
I don't have an answer, but will look for one.  There is a difference
between the Open Firmware resets and the Firmware updater.  As I
understand it, Open Firmware is the base on which Mac OSX is built.
Firmware is the basic instruction set that controls the boot
process.  The OF resets restore startup instructions to original in
case something gets corrupted.  The Firmware Update actually changes
the basic operation of the machine, similar to a bios change on a PC.

Try going back to just your original drive and computer setup (remove
all extra cards and add ons except for memory).  If you can get the
machine to boot, do the Open firmware Resets at that point.  If the
machine then works ok (give it a pretty good workout), check to see
if it needs a firmware update (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1395).
If it does, follow the instructions carefully.  Once that is done and
the basic computer is working properly, you can start adding things
back in to determine when it gets goofy.  That will give you a
starting point for the other problems.

Dan T