[G4] 1.25 MDD Power Suppy Replacement, or ??

Richard Klein richspk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 07:45:22 PDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:28 AM, jonny <g4 at salemoregon.com> wrote:
> Good morning!
>
> My beloved 1.25 MDD that I lovingly refurbished 3.5 years ago died last
> week; power supply.  My old 450 is working in its stead, but it's not
> rock-solid like the MDD, teeny hard drives, etc.  Right now I'm booted to a
> FW drive with my fingers crossed.
>
> Question:  Should I...
>
> Replace the power supply ($400) and have my MDD back, but likely have to
> deal with this issue again in 3-4 years?
>
> Or look at a new desktop mac for a longer term (suggestions?)
>
> I need to be able to run OSX 3.9, and up.  I have 4 external FW drives and a
> 23" HD apple studio monitor.
>
> I would sure appreciate a little help sorting this out.  What would you do?
>  Logic?

If it were me, I'd modify a PC's ATX power supply to work in the MDD.
Either way, if the power supply only lasts you 3-4 years, you'll
probably want a newer computer by then, anyway.

I haven't done the ATX mod yet, myself; you'd have to google for the
instructions.  Someone posted here that they'd done it successfully
just a few months ago.

--
Rich