[G4] 1.25 MDD Power Suppy Replacement, or ??

Ronnie Day ronnie.day at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 08:05:35 PDT 2010

I would buy a new box. I've recently been in the same situation. For
some time I had a Media 100 editing setup in a Dual 1.42/MDD. Over
time I loaded it with 4 internal HDs and two optical drives, plus I
was running a 20 inch (ADC) Cinema Display. Early last year the P/S
died. Rather than replacing the P/S I bought another Duall 1.42, but
made the mistake of just moving all of the drives, etc, to the "new"
G4, which failed within a few months.

I wanted to stay with my M100 setup but have made the decision to move
on to Final Cut so I'm shopping for a Mac Pro. I bought a Mini
recently to begin learning FCS and it's great. Ended up with the
"upgraded" 2.53 GHz model because it would cost more than the $200
difference just to bump the RAM from 2 gig to 4 and install a bigger
HD, plus you get the 2.53 CPU instead of the 2.26.

Apple made a big mistake putting a too small PSU in this series and
there's no easy way to fix it, especially since they choose not to use
off the shelf power supplies. Before I load up a new Mac Pro with
internal devices I'll make sure the PSU can support them or more
likely I'll use FireWire and/or eSATA cards to hang drive arrays
externally.

HTH,
Ron