[G4] Old mini or other machine for cheap/free?

Amir 'CG' Caspi cepheid at ssl.berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 23 17:26:36 PST 2012

Hi Harry,

 	As mentioned, I checked all the cables - reseated them all and
tried booting with one or both of them disconnected.  I also keep this
machine relatively clean so there's no significant dust buildup (I use
compressed air, just as you do).
 	I don't suspect the PS because this was a sudden event, not a
gradual one, and I haven't changed the configuration of the machine in any
way from when it worked to when it didn't.  I also don't suspect a blown
capacitor because then I shouldn't get ANY boot, firmware or otherwise.
In any case, I've looked and there are no obvious signs of damage.

 	I think John's suggestion of the custom firmware for the CPU
upgrade might be the best one so far... I'll give it a shot when I can
find the disk, and report back as to whether it worked or not.

 	In the meantime, I'd still love to replace this tower with a mini
anyway (for noise and power reasons), in case someone has one they want to
let go of. =)

Thanks!
 						--- amir