[G5] update

Kevin Stevens groups at pursued-with.net
Fri Sep 24 17:08:11 PDT 2004

> On Sep 24, 2004, at 4:04 PM, Kevin Stevens wrote:
>

>> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Jerry Bunn wrote:
>>
>>> Just got my new dual 2.5 G5 yesterday.  Out of curiousity I ran
>>> software
>>> update and was very surprised to find 10 things that needed to be
>>> updated.  This is the newest machine Apple is putting out and its 10
>>> updates behind?
>>
>> So which would you prefer:
>>
>> - Apple not make any updates since the release of Panther a year ago?
>>
>> - Apple not ship any new hardware until Tiger is released?
>>
>> - Apple ship machines with software builds different than what is on
>> the
>> recovery media?
>>
>> - Apple ship machines with multiple versions of software builds and
>> recovery media?
>>
>> KeS

> On Sep 24, 2004, at 13:35, Jerry Bunn wrote:
> I guess I simply expected a brand new,  just built G5 to be loaded
> with the latest software on the market.  Maybe I expected too much.
> My 1-year-old iMac at school is more up-to-date than this brand new
> one.
> 10.3.5 came out on August 9th, iPod updater came out on August 6th,
> iPhoto came out on August 5th.  I didn't order this until August 18th.
>
> Oh well, no biggie, just wondered.  Chill Kevin.

I simply presented you with all the possible alternatives to the one
Apple chose.  As best I can make out from your rather indirect answer,
you choose d):  you want them to ship machines with multiple versions
of software builds and recovery media.

It's not going to happen.  Nobody in the industry does it that way, all
for the same reason:  managing the release process is a huge overhead
with very little benefit, and it makes for nightmares of product
support down the line when machines need to be re-imaged or debugged.

KeS

Oh, and don't tell me what to do.  If you ask a question and don't like
the answer, that's your problem, not mine.